Monday, June 15, 2015

2 Ways to Create a Work Culture that Attracts Millennials


During the spring, I studied the motivations behind Millennials and their participation in work and service.  My study focused on Millennials ages 18-35, and predominantly Christian. I am a Christian Millennial myself and try my best not to be biased. My study provided me with great insight into the minds and hearts of Millennials and now I want to share the knowledge to all of you. Here are two clear ways to grab the attention of Millennials in your organization.

1.  Provide Altruistic Space
      My husband works for a technology company here in Denver. The organization is full of Millennial types who are not only interested in having good pay, but also want to work for an organization that has an altruistic culture. My husband’s office encourages its employees to take two days a year to volunteer at the organization of their choice. Then the company donates a certain amount of money to that organization at the end of the year. 

When I first heard this I thought, “Who wouldn’t want to work for such a servant-minded company?” 

      But I quickly learned that this holistic company is one of many that are providing opportunities for their employees to give back. Millennials are motivated by opportunities that allow them to do participate in something bigger than themselves. This generation’s "American Dream" is not the white fenced house or nice car, but it is to become more and more altruistic. Consider allowing your employees to have fun and serve their organization of choice. This will generate long-term employees, as well as, a great reputation with the wider community.

      2. Provide Learning Space

      The Millennial generation is the most educated generation to date. When asked to rank their top values, education is number three on the list (following family and friends). Keeping the brain alive and fed allows Millennials to practice a discipline they have been doing most of their lives. Not only does an employee learn on site, but also offering ways for them to participate in an online-class, a conference, or a night class shows that you are interested in their personal education. It will only serve your organization better to have employees who are inspired and equipped.

The creative ideas they will bring back to your company will keep you relevant and resourced.  


No comments:

Post a Comment